Sunday, October 23, 2016

BLACK WOMEN HAVE A RIGHT TO BE ANGRY ABOUT COLORISM


FROM FOR HARRIET'S
LET'S GET REAL ABOUT COLORISM

A) Colorims is a daily Marginalizing System like racism and sexism

B) SIDE NOTE TO LIGHT SKINNED WOMEN "I am not taking away your blackness..."

C) STUDIES ON DARKER VERSUS LIGHTER-SKINNED WOMEN

1) Socio-economic status is higher for lighter women than darker women
2) Housing you're allowed to live in is different for lighter versus darker women
3) Access to Education has historically been easier for lighter versus darker women
4) Success in running for public office is different for lighter versus darker skinned women

5) "Straight Outta Compton" Colorist Hiring List
6) Marriage Rates for darker skinned vs light
7) Income of the black man a woman marries is higher when a black woman is lighter

Black Power Couples after the VMA AwardsIMAGES LIKE THESE NEVER GETS TALKED ABOUT WHEN
YOUNG BLACK GIRLS START RUNNING FOR

LONG STRAIGHT WEAVES AND BLEACHING CREAMS
8) Darker-skinned girls are punished more harshly in school
9) Darker-skinned women receive longer prison sentences
10) Low income women with medium to darker skin are more likely to experience suicidal ideation


All the studies mentioned prove things were already known by black women and the people that actually love them. 
In the video below, Kimberly Foster makes a good case for how vigilant we have to be if we're going to make an effort to stomp colorism out or at least reduce it. But I'm going to go a step further and say we have to stop contributing to it ourselves. We have to vote for what we want  to see with our dollars.

What we see regularly is what we reproduce. I don't care how smart some of us think we are. What we see in our entertainment matters. 

So, I'm not watching "Luke Cage"

I'm not watching "This is Us"

I don't go to anything Kevin Hart is in


And, I'm running toward anything that puts the bite on "Straight Outta Compton" 

It's not likely I'm going to run to see anything that has Zendaya in either.
I'm not boycotting Zendaya or the new crop of light girls. But I'm not making an effort to support Zendaya or any other light women unless there's a darker-skinned black woman in it too. Again, I don't hate Zendaya or any other light skinned actress. But I've supported the careers of Halle Berry and Vanessa Williams for decades.

Been there. Done That. And done.

Light-skinned women ought to be grateful to me and a lot of black women like me.  

Yet, we ought to be grateful to the light-skinned sisters in entertainment and in every other profession too because light-skinned women broke the white glass ceiling for black women. They always do. But it's time to stop light-skinned women being 90% of the ones that benefit from the ceiling being broken when they probably represent less than 10% to 20% of black women.

It's 2016. Light-skinned black women have dominated black female roles in movies and television since 1960 at the very least. It's time for this to be over.


So, I'm going to reserve my dollars and my time for Lupita Nyongo, Aja Naomi King, and Danielle Brooks shaded sisters. I'm going to go to the movies to see black women who are more average in shade, just like black men go to see movies about themselves where the black actors are quite a bit more average in shade. 





By the way --> As much as I want to see the movie Moonlight it irks me, once again, that black men always get darker skinned black men to represent themselves but don't notice when all the women, except the shady politician -- a rich role for Alfre Woodard, I'm sure -- are light-skinned in respectability politics soaked television show Luke Cage. 

 
For Harriett Video - Let's Get Real About Colorism
With Research References You Look Up!


No comments:

Post a Comment