Wednesday, May 4, 2016

MANEATER by Safia Elhillo



He calls me "maneater." 
I study a crack in the wall until it blinks.




He wants me to be sorry for not loving him. 






And I want to be sorry for not loving him 
because good people
are supposed to love other good people 
and he is a good 
and this is the only way to prove my own goodness 


even if loving him just means unpacking all my suitcases 

and making my eyes look like I'm listening.


But I've spent months 

tamping down the sky trapped inside my body. 
Months sitting with my hands in my lap


And for that I say 

I cannot allow myself to believe 
that love is nothing but a reward for good behavior. 


For that I say, 

I don't want to eat you, little boy. 
You are not my brand of firewood.

~Safia Elhillo~

No comments:

Post a Comment