Thursday, May 19, 2016

ASKING TOO MUCH


“I want you to tell me
about every person
you've ever been in love with.




Tell me
why you loved them,
then tell me
why they loved you.

Tell me
about a day in your life
you didn't think you’d live through.

Tell me
what the word “home” means to you
and tell me in a way
that I’ll know your mothers name
just by the way you describe your bedroom
when you were 8.
See, I wanna know
the first time you felt the weight of hate
and if that day still trembles beneath your bones.

Do you kiss your friends on the cheek?
Do you think that anger is a sincere emotion
or just the timid motion
of a fragile heart
trying to beat away its pain?


Photo by Regina Leah



See, I wanna know
what you think of your first name.





And if you often lie awake at night
and imagine your mother's joy
when she spoke it for the very first time.

I want you tell me
all the ways you've been unkind.

Tell me
all the ways you've been cruel.


Do you believe
that Mary was really a virgin?
Do you believe
that Moses really parted the sea?
And if you don’t believe in miracles,
tell me,
how would you explain
the miracle of my life to me?


And for all the times
you've knelt before the temple of yourself,
have the prayers you've asked come true?

And if they didn't
did you feel denied?
And if you felt denied,
denied by who[m]?


I wanna know what you see
when you look in the mirror
on a day you’re feeling good.

I wanna know what you see
in the mirror
on a day you’re feeling bad.

I wanna know
the first person
who ever taught you your beauty
could ever be reflected
on a lousy piece of glass.


If you ever reach enlightenment,
will you remember how to laugh?

Have you ever been a song?

See, I wanna know more
than what you do for a living.
I wanna know how much
of your life you spend just giving.

And if you love yourself enough to also
receive sometimes.


I wanna know if you bleed sometimes
through other people’s wounds.
And if you dream sometimes
that this life is just a balloon
that if you wanted to you could pop
—but you never would
because you’d never want it to stop.”


 

by Andrea Gibson,

No comments:

Post a Comment