Wednesday, May 11, 2016

WHY FEMINISM? by Gaopalelwe Olivia Phalaetsile

Why Feminism?


BeCoz when I asked my father why I change my name after marriage, he said "You don't belong until you married"

BeCoz while my granny was teaching me to cook, brother was to manly to stand in front of a stove.

BeCoz while I was in boot camp, training to be the good wife, brother played video games.

BeCoz I was told men cheat, better make peace with it now.

They said, A woman who sleeps around is a SLUT.

BeCoz loosing my virginity at 16 was a sin, brother was just going through puberty when he did it so it's okay.

BeCoz its for brother to mock the blood spot on my skirt.

BeCoz I was told men run this world.

"Women must behave"

"You talk too much", they say.

"Stwaap being ratchet"

BeCoz when a child is a mess, they always ask. What kind of mother does such?

BeCoz it’s my fault when a man leaves me and my children.

"Woman choose better next time", they say.

BeCoz when he forced himself on me, he told me; "I only took what rightfully belongs to me".

"A woman must always give her man what's due to him", they say.

I heard when a woman cheats it hurts more than when a man cheats.

Why Feminism?

Because instead of being taught to love his woman, brother was taught to be a man.

While he wondered what it means to be a man.

He watched as the men around him.

Beat their wives, cheat on them.

BeCoz when my brother cried after a bunch of girls made fun of me.

He was told, "man that's gay".

BeCoz instead of being allowed to express his emotions,  brother was taught to sort out a nigga.

Violence became an expression of pain, hurt and disappointment.

BeCoz when brother was four and asked for the pink top.

His choice was frowned upon- "Men don't wear pink".

BeCoz after cheating on his first love and breaking her heart, brother heard he is a chick magnet.

"Dude you are a boss".

Why Feminism?

Because little boys are taught to be men.

Little girls are taught to be women.

Who teaches them to be themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment