Wednesday, October 28, 2015

WHY I ABSOLUTELY AM AN ANGRY BLACK WOMAN

Feeling Rebloggy



Because when I was five, my kindergarten classmate told me I couldn’t be the princess in the game we were playing because black girls couldn’t be princesses. Because I was in third grade the first time a teacher seemed shocked at how “well-spoken” I was. Because in fourth grade I was told my crush didn’t like black girls. Because in sixth grade a different crush told me I was pretty — for a black girl. Because in 7th grade my predominantly black suburban neighborhood was nicknamed “Spring Ghettos” instead of calling it its name (Spring Meadows). Because I was in 8th grade the first time I was called an Oreo and told that I “wasn’t really black” like it was a compliment.

Because in 9th grade when I switched schools a boy told me he knew I had to be mixed with something to be so pretty. Because in 10th grade...




read more:
https://thsppl.com/why-i-m-absolutely-an-angry-black-woman-2cf74c95828#.jsjo7c8wu

do yourself a favor. read it. she goes all the way through the grown up years.

No comments:

Post a Comment