Monday, October 19, 2015

LOVING THE UNSINKABLE EFFIE BROWN'S MAMA



Background:

Maybe you missed it. Matt Damon made this outrageous statement that pretty much said people of color need to be in front of the camera but not behind the camera. Effie Brown's shocked response was caught on camera. 


Effie starts objecting to the only black character in a movie being a prostitute named "Harmony" who is slapped by her  white pimp.  

During the course of discussion Damon responds,  "When we're talking about diversity you do it in the casting of the film but not the casting of the show
[Translation: People of color can be cast but don't need to be behind the camera]....Do you want the best director? [Translation: Diversity hiring is oppositional to merit hiring]


Effie Brown took exception to what he said. I dare say she was aghast. Then she pushed back. 




When Effie was asked, "Why did you argue with Damon?"


"I had no choice really. I’ve been black and a woman all my life. 

I have worked in this business for 20 years. I’m 43. It was one of those things. Literally in that moment, was I going to risk public humiliation, bringing up this opinion, or deal with shame and excuses: 'You let that go by?' That’s a big responsibility. I was more afraid of my mother: 'That’s how we raised you and sacrificed, that’s it? When the time was for you to stand and be counted?' 

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/the-unsinkable-effie-brown-makes-hbos-project-greenlight-a-must-see-im-not-his-favorite-person-20151012

No comments:

Post a Comment