Friday, September 25, 2015

happy birthday bell hooks

Fabulous

Black

Feminist




"For me, forgiveness and compassion are always linked: how do we hold people accountable for wrongdoing and yet at the same time remain in touch with their humanity enough to believe in their capacity to be transformed?"





The first book I read by her was "Sisters Of The Yam"








 




"I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance.
When we drop fear, we can draw nearer to people, we can draw nearer to the earth, we can draw nearer to all the heavenly creatures that surround us.


Being oppressed means the absence of choices.
I began writing a book on love because I felt that the United States is moving away from love.


It's in the act of having to do things that you don't want to that you learn something about moving past the self. Past the ego.
Life-transforming ideas have always come to me through books.
What had begun as a movement to free all black people from racist oppression became a movement with its primary goal the establishment of black male patriarchy."



As lovely a leader as there has ever been

No comments:

Post a Comment