Friday, September 4, 2015

SERENA WILLIAMS ADDRESSES MARIA SHARAPOVA BEING HIGHEST PAID ATHLETE



"If they want to market someone who is white and blond, that’s their choice. I have a lot of partners who are very happy to work with me. I can’t sit here and say I should be higher on the list because I have won more. I’m happy for her, because she worked hard, too. There is enough at the table for everyone. 

We have to be thankful, and we also have to be positive about it so the next black person can be No. 1 on that list."

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2015/08/serena-williams-responds-to-maria-sharapova-endorsement-gap/
SERENA handled this question with dignity and grace, as usual.

I'm not Serena.  Therefore, I can say that Serena should be higher on the list because Serena has won more.  I'm saying it.

I'm saying that it's 2015 and it's ridiculous that tall, white, thin is taking up more room at the table than it should be after all this time. Serena is absolutely right about the other black people that busted through doors ahead of her and that she's busting down doors for the black person coming up behind her. And, I'm so proud of her for coming right out and addressing race directly.

Yet, I don't have to pretend I think that white people are making "racial progress" at a reasonable rate of speed.

Sorry. Can't do it.

Has Maria Sharapova addressed race and the pay gap between her and Serena? Has she said something other than some vague "it's not fair" if she's said anything at all? Is Sharapova getting the question over and over like Serena is?

If Sharapova cannot be this direct, I wonder if anyone will attempt her to force her into a direct answer on her white privilege. I might ask her something like, "How does it feel to win so many of the endorsements without winning as many games as Serena Williams --just because you possess the ultimate race card that trumps all other race cards?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment