Saturday, May 16, 2015

PANEL - BLACK WOMEN & THE WORK PLACE




7 MINUTES ON

     -
BLACK WOMEN'S CHOICES & EXPERIENCES 

     -
"WHEN PATRICIA ARQUETTE SAID 'WOMEN' SHE MEANT WHITE WOMEN." (Wage gap with White Women - White Women get paid 78 cents on the dollar as compared to men. And Black women get paid 64 cents on the dollar as compared to men.)

     
- "YOU HAVE TO BE TWICE AS GOOD AS THEM TO GET HALF OF WHAT THEY HAVE" (most black folk have heard this since birth)



(The Nightly Show is on Comedy Central)




Christina Greer (Assistant Professor, Fordham University)

"We need to think about this historically...Let's just take FDR. He had to make concessions with White Southerner....He excluded black domestics....in order to make *The New Deal* happen... A lack of wealth was able to be built."



Jacque Reid (Co-Host New York Live)
   "We are dealing with the same issues tht a lot of black men deal with -with advancing in the work places. And then we're also dealing with  a lot of issues that women deal with - with advancing in the workplace...I had a white manager tell me she was afraid of me."



Issa Rae (Awkward Black Girl Creator/Actor)

    "If I was a white man, I would rule this world right now."


Marina Franklin (Comedian)
   
"Talking"  (When Jacque Reid said she asked herself what she was doing to make this woman afraid, Marina answered, "Talking.")
 

   




MY EXPERIENCE:

I  too had a white female co-worker tell me she was afraid.  She was growling at me like she didn't have good sense daily because as a 19 or 20 year old receptionist I was passing HER calls to HER.

Early one morning, I tell her she has no right to yell at me in a calm, pretty much mechanical manner. But she and the other white woman that overheard were the ones that were "afraid."  My fear doesn't count of losing my job for DOING my job doesn't matter.

However, they were not so afraid that they didn't admit to me later, to my face that they were "afraid" I was friendly or work "friends" with both of these white women in a very small office. There were other black females to buffer things, so social gatherings were truly good and fun. But "white friendship" comes at a high cost on the front end, more often than not


There was part with Issa Rae where there was some over-talking. She said the good ole boy network is not necessarily a "racism thing"
The white executives picking people they know...etc. SURE IT'S A RACISM THING. That's how the good ole boy network was established. 'We only talk to, consider, people who look like us, talk like us, look like us, enjoy hockey like us, look like us' -- That's an outcome and perpetuation of de facto racism at it's finest. CLICK HERE TO READ and HEAR MORE ABOUT "RACISM WITHOUT RACISTS"


SEE MORE OF THE NIGHTLY SHOW
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/k24f0l/the-nightly-show-tonightly---2-26-15

No comments:

Post a Comment