Saturday, August 15, 2015

"CALLING IN" A LESS DISPOSABLE WAY OF HOLDING ONE ANOTHER ACCOUNTABLE

Feeling Rebloggy: 
Most of us know the drill. Someone says something that supports the oppression of another community, the red flags pop up and someone swoops in to call them out.
But what happens when that someone is a person we know — and love?

What happens when we ourselves are that someone?
 
photo from pinterest

And what does it mean for our work to rely on how we have been programmed to punish people for their mistakes?


I’ll be the first person and the last person to say that anger is valid. Mistakes are mistakes; they deepen the wounds we carry. I know that for me when these mistakes are committed by people who I am in community with, it hurts even more. But these are people I care deeply about and want to see on the other side of the hurt, pain, and trauma: I am willing to offer compassion and patience as a way to build the road we are taking but have never seen before.



~ Black Girl Dangerous



READ MORE ON "CALLING IN" instead of "CALLING OUT"
http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2013/12/calling-less-disposable-way-holding-accountable/

No comments:

Post a Comment