Wednesday, August 5, 2015

BLACK DISADVANTAGE AND THE TOLERATION OF MAGIC


TOLERATION
OF BLACK DISADVANTAGE 
in a world where that disadvantage 
is rarely forthrightly explained, 
LEADS TO
THE TOLERATION OF MAGIC...




Put Differently,
if a society has a history of believing
that black people are less than human,
and yet repeatedly sees
black people living in conditions unlike
other humans in that society,
the original belief is reified.


...[T]he racist practice of redlining black people
did not just rob black people of wealth,
it reinforced racist beliefs already present.

***BECAUSE I AM BLACK, my interest rates and my payments are higher than yours.
***BECAUSE MY PAYMENTS ARE HIGHER
I cannot keep up my property as well as you [do in your neighborhood]
and I need to work a second job to keep up with the higher payments]
***BECAUSE...I WORK A SECOND JOB []
I am not around to supervise my kids

YOU
DON'T
EVER
SEE
the absurd
[high interest/high payment
mortgage]
on my house.

***BUT YOU DO SEE my gutters falling off.
***[BUT YOU DO] SEE my kids out past the hour of streetlights.

No one told you about redlining.
But many people told you that I am lazy and prone to criminality.
You have been told this since somewhere around the 18th century.
And now you see that when I move next door,
[YOU MAY NOT SEE or notice
that some of your other white neighbors move out,
BUT YOU DO SEE] property values dip,
AND THE NEIGHBORHOOD BECOMES A GHETTO
****************
Where science is concealed, magic reigns.
And you will be forgiven for believing
that the fact of the ghetto,
is the fact of my lesser humanity.
And with that lessened humanity,
with all the requisite stereotypes,
comes an entire belief system
that tolerates the killing of Trayvon Martin
by a man who then tours the factory
where the weapon he used
to slaughter a child was made...
Ta-Nehisi Coates for THE ATLANTIC

READ MORE ON THE BUILDING OF THE STEREOTYPES USED TO MENTALLY JUSTIFY THE KILLING OF JONATHAN FERRELL...and so many others

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/09/the-killing-of-jonathan-ferrell-in-context/279953/





 

No comments:

Post a Comment