Monday, July 20, 2015

The Difference Between "Hispanic" and "Latino"/"Latina"



A two minute video is below, since I can't be the only one that was confused.


 The Puerto Ricans and Cuban's I've known on the east coast have resentfully used the term "Hispanic" And even that was only really used when referring to the "Hispanic" voting block that really isn't one since Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans etc. are very different and vote differently.  Mexicans that I've known since being on the West Coast seem to embrace "Latino" or "Latina" and use that ethnicity(?) identifier almost exclusively.

My confusion was likely complicated by the fact that the mother of a Puerto Rican friend of mine growing up is from Spain. Hence, that family's particular lack of a problem using the term "Hispanic."

So I'm getting the impression that  among "the woke" of all these different spanish speaking people --who are not from Spain-- that *Latinx* is the way to go. I'm also getting the impression that claiming Spanish ancestry among Latinx people is about as popular as claiming white ancestry is among black folk.



No comments:

Post a Comment