Thursday, July 30, 2015

I AM A NATIVE AMERICAN WOMAN WITH WHITE-PASSING PRIVILEGE

Feeling Rebloggy
"There are a lot of ways in which it sucks to be a light or white-presenting Native American.

I’m often not recognizable, even to people of my own nationality. Sometimes, I even have to perform to be seen by myself, as if by wearing turquoise and beadwork, I won’t get so lost in the Western world. Of course, it’s so much deeper than that, but it can help to have outward reflections of an inner truth.  If I’m not performing for myself, it can feel as if I’m performing to others.
At times, (though very rarely) others with mixed-Native heritage have compared themselves to me, as if I were on the bottom of the scale for Native-presenting-ness. 
“Oh, I look mixed, but I look more Native than Mistylynn, right?” 

....Because I am Indigenous and I do face a great deal of challenges specific to my nationality, I have often wrongly believed that I don’t have white privilege. That isn’t true, because the larger world views me as a white woman...
Misty Ellingburg

As I understand it, this woman once stopped talking to people, cut them out of her life, because they told her she had white privilege. Talk about growth?

READ MORE: 

No comments:

Post a Comment