Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Naomi Campbell To Help Aspiring Models? Naomi CAMPBELL?


A few days ago, Naomi Campbell announced that she's going to work hard to diversify modeling by helping young models of color.  During that announcement,
NAOMI CAMPBELL
Photo by George Biard


"Naomi Campbell expressed her disappointment with the lack of racial diversity in the fashion industry. 'I don’t even like to use the word racism,' the model began. 'I call it more territorialism, where they just don’t want to budge. They don’t want to change their ideal and be more open-minded to just booking a beautiful girl regardless of creed and color.' 

I don't like to use the word "racism?" Let's call this strike one.


http://mashable.com/2015/07/07/naomi-campbell-model-diversity/

Let me honest. I've always had the impression that Naomi is as mean as a snake. She throws cell phones and crap at people that work for her. I was only half paying attention, but not long ago I think she got caught up with some mobster that you don't call a "mobster" because they're rich. I think authorities were trying to get her to testify about something or other at a War Crimes Trial of all things. (I really wasn't paying attention) But I kept wondering why they bothered asking her to testify about anything. I haven't seen her open her mouth and listen to what comes out and NOT THOUGHT she was lying. 



And I can't help but think that this announcement about her desire to help young black models or young models of color is going to ruin her looks because her nose is about to do a Pinocchio on her.  She cannot not be on the up and up. I've never had to pay more than 30 seconds worth of attention at time to figure out that Naomi is about Naomi and Naomi alone. And this decision to help other black models is the direct opposite of what Stable Mabel has been doing for decades.
Tyra Banks
Tumblr
Back when Tyra Banks was coming up the ranks behind her, Naomi Campbell is rumored to have done everything in her power to cut her off at the pass. Yes, there was competition. Yes, the competition was made ugly by the r-word she doesn't like to use. But none of that explains the nasty depths Naomi sunk to.

From Tyra Bank's Now Defunct Day Time Talk Show
 "

Back then there were 10 top models...but there was an unwritten rule that only one of them could be black," Banks said. "And Naomi was that one black girl." ...In a 2003 
Time article, Somali supermodel Iman said that, upon arriving in New York in 1975, she realized she was being pitted against Beverly Johnson.

[I]n one oft-recounted incident, Campbell had Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld ban Banks from appearing on the fashion giant's runways; she also reportedly tried to force her then-agency, Elite Model Management, to choose between her and Banks; Banks decided to leave Elite for IMG in order to ease the tension. (Campbell was later dismissed from Elite after founder John Casablancas declared the model to be "crazy, irrational, and uncontrollable.")

Banks eventually quit high-fashion catwalks and photo shoots and found refuge in the mainstream gigs—like modeling for the Victoria's Secret catalog and posing for Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue—that make room for more voluptuous (in modeling terms, anyway) figures like hers.


This has been her official story for years—but as she revealed to Campbell on her show, "That's only 50 percent of it." Banks was also "tired of the comparison" and "tired of constantly hearing that I got canceled from this job...or this magazine was called and [told] not to use me." 


Tyra recovered her career, but Naomi tried to destroy her. And I tend to think your character is your character until something earth-shattering comes along to make you want to change it. And when you've done people dirty but you are determined to change, you confess.  Don't ya?

I haven't heard Naomi's confession yet, so...um....I wouldn't turn my back on her for very long. But that's just me.

Campbell could be realizing that even black-don't-crack can't stop the clock forever. Maybe she realizes her modeling days are at an end. Even if she just wants a way to stay in the lime light, maybe she'll be of benefit to someone else.

But I have to say it. Things have not worked out that way in my life. I could rarely figure out the how and the why of a low-character someone biting me ahead of time.  Best to avoid them.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the young models she says she's going to help.


Read More on when Tyra Met Naomi  http://bitchmagazine.org/article/when-tyra-met-naomi


PART 1 of 3 of Tyra and Naomi Interview
(Parts 2 and 3 available)

No comments:

Post a Comment