Monday, November 16, 2015

SHONDA RHIMES ON "THE YEAR OF YES!" AND F.O.D.


LARRY WIMORE:

“Have you ever killed off a character because you didn’t like the actor? And extra bonus points, who was it? Don’t even think about lying.”



SHONDA RHIMES:

“Yes, and I’m not naming names.”







I'll mention a name. On Scandal, the actor who plays the Harrison Wright character got into a couple of barroom brawls then finally hit his girlfriend or wife.

Harrison died, barely had a funeral, and had somewhere near zero flashbacks.


Some people were boohoo-ing over this character's death. Ummm...He's cute. Very.  And I was sad to see him go. But there's not enough cute in this world for me to give a pass to a man, especially a black man who is supposed to have our collective black female backs, who is hitting folk then finally hits a black woman. 


As a feminist, I'm kinda guessing that Shonda Rhimes feel the same way.

Shonda's Book "The Year Of Yes!" is out. She talks about it on Comedy Central, on Larry Wilmore's show. There's an interesting conversation about being black and being a pioneer in a certain industry, which she describes as being an F.O.D. (First Only Different)  She is an F.O.D. President Obama is an F.O.D. She describes the pressures and outcomes of being an F.O.D.

I already bought "The Year Of Yes!" It's in line to be read behind some black female history books. This sounds like a late December, have something new in my head for the beginning of the new year kinda of a book. But the interview makes me I think I shouldn't wait to read it. 





Here's some of the interview on her life and her book. Even in small doses, Shonda's kinda awesome. 
 








You can also see Video Here:

http://www.thewrap.com/shonda-rhimes-confesses-to-killing-off-a-character-because-she-didnt-like-the-actor-video/


No comments:

Post a Comment