Wednesday, April 15, 2015

BLACK GIRL DANGEROUS on
CALLING IN: A Less Disposable Way Of Holding One Another Accountable

REBLOGGED: AN EXCERPT FROM BLACK GIRL DANGEROUS


"When confronted with another person’s mistake, I often think about what makes my relationship with this person important. Is it that we’ve done work together before? Is it that I know their politics? Is it that I trust their politics? Are they a family member? Oh shit, my mom? Is it that I’ve heard them talk about patience or accountability or justice before? Where is our common ground? And is our common ground strong enough to carry us through how we have enacted violence on each other?

I start “call in” conversations by identifying the behavior and defining why I am choosing to engage with them. I prioritize my values and invite them to think about theirs and where we share them. And then we talk about it. We talk about it together, like people who genuinely care about each other. We offer patience and compassion to each other and also keep it real, ending the conversation when we need to and know that it wasn’t a loss to give it a try.

Because when I see problematic behavior from someone who is connected to me, who is committed to some of the things I am, I want to believe that it’s possible for us to move through and beyond whatever mistake was committed."


CLICK HERE TO READ MORE OF THIS SOFT AND LOVELY EXPLANATION OF "CALLING IN" AT BLACK GIRL DANGEROUS

No comments:

Post a Comment