Thursday, January 28, 2016

OSCAR'S BABY STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION


PEOPLE ARE LISTENING AT THE OSCARS  ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE BELOW


But, I'm not even willing to call this a baby step to tell you the truth.  
If the gender and race percentages polled by the LA Times are accurate, that would account for an increase from 23% women to 46% women members. African American members would see less growth, from 2% to 4%.


Last I checked, black people were 13% of the population not 2 percent or 4 percent. But if women (mostly white) don't go through the door first, we don't go through either. So I suppose I have to be some what happy about this. 

Read More
http://distractify.com/entertainment/2016/01/22/dan-so-they-listened-its-a-start


IDRIS ELBA IS TALKING ABOUT BLACK REPRESENTATION IN MOVIES 




ELBA'S IN ENGLAND BUT THIS IS STILL RELEVANT
Things are so bad over there in Great Britain, that black actors come here to the United States to work -- which keeps Black American actors out of work.


I hate to complain, since that's how we got Idris. But Ava DuVernay actually said she went out of her way to hire a Black Brit for "Selma" in a rather snooty interview (I'm not holding it against her. She could be right about better quality actors coming from there for all I know. But as long as they KEEP coming, there's not enough investment in Black American Actors.)


The other reason I'm not so hot on British actors coming over here is that, other than Naomi Harris, I'm not sure I've seen a black leading lady from across the pond that was darker than a paper bag yet.  Comparison: Gotta love Halle. We pushed her through the door first. But we've got enough of THAT going on over here already. It's time for women that look like Viola Davis and Rutina Wesley to have their turn in the sun.


Idris Elba addresses Parliament on diversity
WATCH: Idris Elba: "Today, I'm asking the TV and film industry to think outside of the box."
Posted by NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt on Tuesday, January 19, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment