Wednesday, June 10, 2015

WHAT I'VE LEARNED by Aja Monet

WHAT I'VE LEARNED - Aja Monet

I know cloud formations
that raindrops don't fall in a teardrop shape
they originally fall in the shape of a flat oval
I don't remember where I read that

....

how to be broken and put together again

I know my arms are long
and my hands remind me of vines
I know laughter
sometimes sounds like bubble wrap
and it's my favorite part of unpacking boxes

When I smile I quint my eyes
i know men with deep diaphram laughter
and lady bugs aren't really ladies..

I know they like to follow me into subway cars
on days when I need to be reminded of magic

I know spider webs sparkle like diamonds after rainshowers
I know yestedfay is the day before tomororw
and tomrrow is an illusion where I imagine...


Aja Monet

Poet
Feminist



A child whose mother lied about where they lived to get her into school
A child who got a good education and had a mother didn't go to jail for it
not like A J Paches's Mom who got 20 years in Ohio in 2011,
like Kelly Williams-Bolar did in Ohio in 2014


A child that grew up to be a feminist woman
who inserts black women
BACK INTO THE MOVEMENT that they started
BLACK LIVE MATTER
thru
SAY HER NAME
will create
ALL BLACK LIVES MATTER
if we come
each time she calls






POEM: WHAT I'VE LEARNED






SEE A MAP THAT SHOWS THE STATES WHERE YOU CAN GO TO JAIL FOR LYING ABOUT YOUR ZIP-CODE TO GIVE YOUR CHILD A BETTER CHANCE AT LIFE
http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2014/1/21/where-school-boundaryhoppingcanmeantimeinjail.html

No comments:

Post a Comment