Wednesday, January 18, 2017

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A MAN: OBAMA'S TEARS VERSUS TRUMP'S TOXIC MASCULINITY

Feeling Rebloggy 
Last week, there was a moment that embodied for me an important (but often overlooked) part of our President's legacy. In the midst of delivering his farewell address, President Obama paused to thank his wife, Michelle, for her kind and courageous leadership during his presidency. 

“Michelle LaVaughn Robinson, girl of the south side, for the past twenty-five years you have not only been my wife and mother of my children, you have been my best friend,” he began, tears glistening in his eyes. “You took on a role you didn’t ask for," he continued, "and you made it your own with grace and with grit and with style.” 
Obama wept, and he wasn’t alone. I watched with tears streaming down my face — and it was in that moment that I realized just how much it has meant to me, as a man, to watch my president cry.
Meaningful as it was, this was far from the first time that Obama has wept during a public address.


Read More 
https://www.bustle.com/p/obamas-tears-showed-me-what-it-means-to-be-a-man-but-trumps-toxic-masculinity-makes-me-fear-for-the-future-30465



No comments:

Post a Comment